It’s time for some crazy fun with an Upside Down Cake
This is one of my favourite desserts – someimtes I hang upside down from my tail and eat an Upside-Down Cake
So let’s get cracking with my Blueberry and Apple Upside-Down Cake
As always I’ve put lots of goodies on this page – including my famous ‘pairs game’ with all the ingredients from this week’s recipe! I’ve got:
Click above to jump to the right spot, or just scroll down to the fun below.
U is for Upside-Down Cake, – a yummy cake thats so much fun to make
Granny was watching Monty in the playground
Monty was swinging high on the swings and whooshing down the slide as fast as he could.
Monty’s favourite part of the park – is the climbing frame.
With Monty’s long tail – it’s really easy for him to swing around the climbing frame and the monkey bars.
As he was climbing up, Monty started to hang upside-down by his tail from the top of the frame.
‘Granny, look at me’
‘I can see you Monty – be very careful up there!’
Granny watched as Monty carefully came down
‘You cheeky Monkey, Monty! – you have so much fun on the climbing frame. In fact, as I was watching you just now, I had a fantastic idea for today’s cake’
‘What’s that, Granny’
‘Why it’s my upside down cake!’ said Granny
Monty laughed at the idea of the cake ‘Sounds great Granny!’
‘It will be..now lets get home and wash those hands of yours before we start baking….’
And they walked home as fast as they could to start baking.
Upside down cakes are lots of fun to make! The classic upside down cake is the pineapple upside down cake which became popular in the 1920s in America when canned pineapples became available. You can make this cake with any type of fruit though and Granny has shared her Apple & Blueberry recipe with us today. Have fun and enjoy!
This recipe involves some knife work and other kitchen gadgets, so please make sure an adult handles these parts of the recipe! Always be careful in the kitchen but remember to have fun too!
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: Up to 30 minutes
Serves 4-6 hungry monkeys
For the topping:
50g unsalted butter, softened
50g soft light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the cake:
100g unsalted butter, softened
100g self raising flour
100g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Heat the oven to 180C/ 160C fan/ Gas mark 4.
Make sure an adult does this bit.
2. Wash and dry the blueberries.
3. Wash and dry the apples, then cut into slices.
Make sure an adult cuts the apples
4. To make the topping, put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together until creamy (you can either do this by hand or using an electric mixer).
5. Take a 20cm/ 8 inch cake tin and spread the topping all across the base and one quarter of the way up the sides of the cake tin.
6. Arrange the apples in a circle pattern in the base of the cake tin, fanning out from the centre of the cake tin. Place the blueberries around this. Be sure to pack the fruit in as it will shrink when it is cooked.
7. Sprinkle the fruit with the cinnamon.
8. Weigh all the cake mix ingredients and break the eggs. Remember to wash your hands after handling the eggs!
9. To make the cake, place all the dry cake ingredients in a mixing bowl, then add one egg at a time, mixing through completely each time.
10. Next add the vanilla, then beat the cake mixture to a soft consistency with an electric whisk.
11. Pour the cake mix into the cake tin and smooth across the top with a spatula so that the cake is level.
12. Put the cake in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
13. Leave to stand for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack, carefully removing the cake tin using oven gloves.
Make sure an adult does steps 12 and 13 bit.
14. If any of the fruit has stuck to the inside of the cake tin, gently scrape it off using a knife and replace it on the sides of the cake.
15. Allow the cake to cool and serve either slightly warm or at room temperature, with a little whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
16. Tuck in and enjoy!
Check out my great facts about my Upside-Down Cake ingredients!
Check out my great jokes about my Upside-Down Cake ingredients!
Colour in this picture of Granny and I!
My new little cooking game for kids
Check out my fun new game. Match the pairs to reveal a surprise picture from today’s recipe.
Click on the image above, or here to play Have fun – and make sure you come back!